Over a million developers have joined DZone.

R: data.table/dplyr/lubridate - Error in wday

· Big Data Zone

Learn how you can maximize big data in the cloud with Apache Hadoop. Download this eBook now. Brought to you in partnership with Hortonworks.

Error in wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) : unused arguments (label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE)

I spent a couple of hours playing around with data.table this evening and tried changing some code written using a data frame to use a data table instead.

I started off by building a data frame which contains all the weekends between 2010 and 2015…

> library(lubridate)
 
> library(dplyr)
 
> dates = data.frame(date = seq( dmy("01-01-2010"), to=dmy("01-01-2015"), by="day" ))
 
> dates = dates %>% filter(wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) %in% c("Saturday", "Sunday"))

…which works fine:

> dates %>% head()
         date
1: 2010-01-02
2: 2010-01-03
3: 2010-01-09
4: 2010-01-10
5: 2010-01-16
6: 2010-01-17

I then tried to change the code to use a data table instead which led to the following error:

> library(data.table)
 
> dates = data.table(date = seq( dmy("01-01-2010"), to=dmy("01-01-2015"), by="day" ))
 
> dates = dates %>% filter(wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) %in% c("Saturday", "Sunday"))
Error in wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) : 
  unused arguments (label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE)

I wasn’t sure what was going on so I went back to the data frame version to check if that still worked…

> dates = data.frame(date = seq( dmy("01-01-2010"), to=dmy("01-01-2015"), by="day" ))
 
> dates = dates %>% filter(wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) %in% c("Saturday", "Sunday"))
Error in wday(c(1262304000, 1262390400, 1262476800, 1262563200, 1262649600,  : 
  unused arguments (label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE)

…except it now didn’t work either! I decided to check what wday was referring to…

Help on topic ‘wday’ was found in the following packages:

Integer based date class
(in package data.table in library /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library)
Get/set days component of a date-time.
(in package lubridate in library /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library)

…and realised that data.table has its own wday function – I’d been caught out by R’s global scoping of all the things!

We can probably work around that by the order in which we require the various libraries but for now I’m just prefixing the call to wday and all is well:

dates = dates %>% filter(lubridate::wday(date, label = TRUE, abbr = FALSE) %in% c("Saturday", "Sunday"))


Hortonworks DataFlow is an integrated platform that makes data ingestion fast, easy, and secure. Download the white paper now.  Brought to you in partnership with Hortonworks

Topics:

Published at DZone with permission of Mark Needham, DZone MVB. See the original article here.

Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.

The best of DZone straight to your inbox.

SEE AN EXAMPLE
Please provide a valid email address.

Thanks for subscribing!

Awesome! Check your inbox to verify your email so you can start receiving the latest in tech news and resources.
Subscribe

{{ parent.title || parent.header.title}}

{{ parent.tldr }}

{{ parent.urlSource.name }}