March in IoT: Synergy and IoT
Want to see how technologies like AI and blockchain are helping solve IoT's problems? This news and tutorial roundup will help.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
We're back again with another IoT recap for March! We're switching gears a bit with our recaps, and I'll be doing two roundups for IoT each month. My goal is to have one focus on DIY/hobbyist/tinkering news and tutorials, whereas the second roundup each month will generally have some other theme. Hopefully, you'll stick around for the ride!
There have been a number of articles in the past month that focus on what I would refer to as IoT partner technologies. See how new developments in AI, blockchain, and more are solving problems for developers across different verticals.
Connecting You With What's Cool
- IoT, Blockchain, and the Future, by Harsh Agrawal. Let's see how blockchain and IoT match up when it comes to use cases from IIoT to smart homes to shipping and even voting.
- Air Pollution Tracking With Node.js, by Stefan Thies. This comprehensive solution for air pollution monitoring uses Node.js, the Elastic stack, MQTT, and a Banana Pi to help detect harmful levels of air particulates.
- IoT: The Revolution in Mobile Apps, by Manish Patel. IoT is a new technology that stands poised to take the tech industry and daily life by storm. See how this applies to mobile apps, and possible pitfalls.
- How Does Blockchain Technology Work With IoT, by Saroj Kumar. IoT and blockchain technologies are both considered disruptive technologies in their own right, but can they work together to form some kind of synergy?
- How a Farmer Built an IoT-driven Farm, by Jeffrey Lee. From automated excavators to self-measuring grain bins, these IoT projects are making farm life more efficient and less taxing.
By the way, if you're interested in writing for your fellow DZoners, feel free to check out our Writers' Zone, where you can also find some current hot topics and our Bounty Board, which has writing prompts coupled with prizes.
IoT Around the Web
The State of IoT and Blockchain
From EE Times, this is a solid report on the increasing convergence of IoT and blockchain. See what challenges lie ahead for a closer working relationship between these two technologies and the use cases that IoT and blockchain can tackle together.
The Wider Impact of IoT Security Concerns
A recent report announced the critical shortfalls of IoT security in the healthcare vertical. That's not a surprise, but it's interesting to see how wide-reaching these concerns can become, particularly in the smart city field.
Smart Cities Require Smart Citizens
And speaking of smart cities, Gartner just announced the biggest hurdle in the way of smart city initiatives. Citizen engagement is a massive barrier to wider adoption. How will this proposed change in mindset affect smart city initiatives in the future? Read on to find out.
Diving Deeper Into IoT
Looking for Work
Android Application Developer
Location: Cork, Ireland
- 4-5 years of experience in enterprise applications development and architecture
- Android Mobile Development with Android Studio
- Track record of debugging and optimising code for size and performance
- Understanding of RESTful web services and IoT communication protocols such as ZeroMQ
- Experience with sensors (NFC, Bluetooth, Beacons, GPS)
- Familiarity with the basics of RxJava, comfortable with Java 8 Lambdas and Streams
- Experience with offline-first application development and using SQLite
- Ability to write clean, well factored UI code
- Demonstrated ability to work on small, focused teams to complete critical milestones under pressure with tight deadlines
- Drive to take initiative and own issues
- Passion for quality and attention to detail of pixel perfect screens
Full Stack Data Developer
Location: Concord, Massachusetts, United States
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years professional experience
- Passion for clean code, love for quality and unit testing
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.
Getting Started With Istio in AWS EKS for Multicluster Setup
Strategies for Reducing Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) For Integration Solutions
Integrating AWS With Salesforce Using Terraform
Front-End: Cache Strategies You Should Know