We are in an era of automation everywhere! Some time back, Bob Egan, the Chief Research Officer at Sepharim Research, talked about mobile security. He made a statement on Enterprise Mobility Trends 2016:
“The modern desktop is really not a desktop, but an experience that fits the moment.”
He also added saying that we are getting into a generation where there will be applications developed specifically for the work to be done easily and efficiently. I totally agree with that and believe that we are highly dependent on minimizing our work efforts with the help of various tools.
The gyration of the effort reducing applications are wrapping up following industries quickly:
The increased demand for automation is trending in our software testing industry, as well. If you check out any software or application testing communities (i.e., uTest, Quora, etc.), you will find software testers urging for various tools that can be helpful in their day to day testing activities, whether it is for desktop testing, web testing, browser testing, regression testing, web services and API testing, and many more.
Here's an overview of the most trending software testing automation tools to help all the software testing folks out there.
Top 10 Testing Automation Tools for Software Testing
Selenium is a testing framework to perform web application testing across various browsers and platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux. Selenium helps the testers to write tests in various programming languages like Java, PHP, C#, Python, Groovy, Ruby, and Perl. It offers record and playback features to write tests without learning Selenium IDE.
Selenium proudly supports some of the largest, yet well-known browser vendors who make sure they have Selenium as a native part of their browser. Selenium is undoubtedly the base for most of the other software testing tools in general.
TestingWhiz is a test automation tool with the code-less scripting by Cygnet Infotech, a CMMi Level 3 IT solutions provider. TestingWhiz tool’s Enterprise edition offers a complete package of various automated testing solutions like web testing, software testing, database testing, API testing, mobile app testing, regression test suite maintenance, optimization, and automation, and cross-browser testing.
TestingWhiz offers various important features like:
- Keyword-driven, data-driven testing, and distributed testing
- Record and playback test automation framework
- Object Eye Internal Recorder
- Integration with bug tracking tools like Jira, Mantis, and FogBugz
- Integration with test management tools like HP Quality Center
- Risk-based testing
- Continuous Integration and Delivery in Agile cycles
3. HPE Unified Functional Testing (HP – UFT formerly QTP)
HP QuickTest Professional was renamed to HPE Unified Functional Testing. HPE UFT offers testing automation for functional and regression testing for the software applications.
Visual Basic Scripting Edition scripting language is used by this tool to register the test processes and operates the various objects and controls in testing the applications.
QTP offers various features like:
- Integration with Mercury Business Process Testing and Mercury Quality Center
- Unique Smart Object Recognition
- Error handling mechanism
- Creation of parameters for objects, checkpoints, and data-driven tables
- Automated documentation
TestComplete is a functional testing platform that offers various solutions to automate testing for desktop, web, and mobile applications by SmartBear Software.
TestComplete offers the following features:
- GUI testing
- Test visualizer
- Scripted testing
- Test recording and playback
Ranorex Studio offers various testing automation tools that cover testing all desktop, web, and mobile applications.
Ranorex offers following features:
- GUI recognition
- Reusable test codes
- Bug detection
- Integration with various tools
- Record and playback
Sahi provides following features:
- Performs multi-browser testing
- Supports ExtJS, ZK, Dojo, YUI, etc. frameworks
- Record and playback on browser testing
Watir is an open source testing tool made up of Ruby libraries to automate web application testing. It is pronounced as “water.”
Watir offers following features:
- Tests any language-based web application
- Cross-browser testing
- Compatible with business-driven development tools like RSpec, Cucumber, and Test/Unit
- Tests web page’s buttons, forms, links, and their responses
8. Tosca Testsuite
Tosca Testsuite by Tricentis uses model-based test automation to automate software testing.
Tosca Testsuite comes with following capabilities:
- Plan and design test case
- Test data provisioning
- Service virtualization network
- Tests mobile apps
- Integration management
- Risk coverage
9. Telerik TestStudio
Telerik TestStudio offers one solution to automate desktop, web, and mobile application testing including UI, load, and performance testing.
Telerik TestStudio offers various compatibilities like:
- Integration with Visual Basic Studio 2010 and 2012
- Record and playback
- Cross-browser testing
- Manual testing
- Integration with bug tracking tools
WatiN is an open-source, C#-developed web application testing tool that was inspired by Watir. WatiN supports web application testing for .Net programming languages. It is licensed under Apache 2.0.
WatiN consists of following features:
- Supports HTML and AJAX website testing
- Integration with unit testing tools
- Automate browser testing on IE and Firefox
- Generates web page screenshots
- Native support for Page and Control model
There must be many other automated software testing tools available in the software testing industry. Which one do you use? Feel free to share in the comment section below.