Problems Being Solved With Web Apps
Problems Being Solved With Web Apps
Secure and automated with speed to market while making customers' lives simpler and easier.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Jumpstart your Angular applications with Indigo.Design, a unified platform for visual design, UX prototyping, code generation, and app development.
To gather insights on the state of web application development today, we spoke to 13 executives from 12 companies developing web applications or providing web application development tools to their clients.
Specifically, we spoke to:
Samer Fallouh, Vice President, Engineering and Andrew Turner, Senior Solution Engineer, Dialexa | Anders Wallgren, CTO, ElectricCloud | Brent Sanders, CEO, Fulton Works | Charles Kendrick, CTO, Isomorphic Software | Ilya Pupko, V.P. of Product Management, Jitterbit | Faisal Memom, Product Marketing, NGINX | Bruno Correa, IT Coordinator, Ranstad Brazil | Craig Gering, Vice President, Engineering, Sencha | Joachim Wester, Founder, Starcounter | Michael Morris, CEO, Topcoder | Greg Law, CEO, Undo | Alexey Aylarov, CEO, Voximplant
When we asked them, "What are the real world problems solved by web applications developed by you or your clients?," here's what they told us:
- Apps with APIs integrating with other applications. Using AI, the integration can happen automatically.
- Speed to market. Increased velocity with security and automation. Deployment put UI code into production more quickly.
- We’ve helped a manufacturer of telecom chips with process control to ensure chips meet FCC regulations for leakage and transference of signals to look at batches of chips and improve the process to enhance the quality of the chips to ensure they meet FCC standards. We help financial services securities firms analyze past performance in a predictive model.
- With our cloud platform and web SDKs, developers using Voximplant empower web apps with voice and video calls. This includes CRM solutions that can accept and initiate calls right from web interface, educational apps that embed live video chats into web pages, Skype-like video communication solutions, and plenty more use cases.
- We built an app for NASA that was approved for flight. Astronauts have to be very conscious of their diet and exercise ratio to avoid losing bone density while in space. We built an app that was easy to use. Recognized at the most innovative app at Apple Worldwide for the NASA FIT (food intake tracker).
- First, the ability to digitize almost everything! We are changing the game here with a fast response to business needs. We moved from 75,000 applicants, to 7,000 candidates that self-scheduled interviews picking the best time and location to meet the aggressive timelines set by our client for the world’s largest quadrennial sports event. The interviews took place in January and February, but the 1,500 people were not hired until July and August. We had to keep the prospects engaged with SMS text messaging and email. This is real, this is happening right now and for big players, involving huge business deals.
- ParkHub, Vinli, and Robin. Where do we start? Airport dashboard in HIA tower. Fleet tracking, car management. Lot management and dashboards in sports stadiums. Moving service. Oil and gas taxing platform. Office space renting tool. Tracking device dashboard. Athlete’s social media ranking.
- 180 million websites like Uber, Airbnb and other web 3.0 as well as established enterprises like Major League Baseball and Volvo.
- 1) Pak’D solves the problem for moms serving healthy, fun food and even have the kids designing their own food combinations that they’ll eat. 2) Pearachute is like class pass for kids in Chicago enriching the lives of children and expanding to other cities. We help clients get to market, and identify market fit, as fast as possible. We’re able to deal with changes quickly. This is especially important with pricing and subscription options. Fail fast with better instrumentation and metrics.
- We focus on the SMB space. LA Metro enables the citizens of LA to update their fare balances while Marian University can now ensure all students complete all of their enrollment tasks.
- A tier one investment bank with distributed apps moving to microservices. We’re living in a world that is becoming less deterministic. Data from traders is connecting to a distributed microservices server-based infrastructure connecting to exchanges and data feeds. We record what happens in real time and in a CI environment. Clients use our software inside of CI when tests fail and correlate with real world failures. Looking to prove a negative – correlate in production with recorded failures.
- Web applications are being used by our customers around the world for business-to-business, business-to-consumer, and internal applications. Typically, our customers want to make their applications available on the desktop, tablets, and smartphones, and they are looking for a technology solution that lets them develop the solution once and run it on multiple platforms. Some of the applications our customers are developing with Ext JS based web applications include: 1) Transportation: shipping, logistics, delivery track & trace, fleet management; 2) Healthcare: clinical trial management, records management, pharmacy management systems; 3) Gaming: content aggregation and sharing; 4) Financial Services: trading platforms, global wealth client management, financial research, insurance policy management; 5) Human Resources: workforce dispatch and management; 6) Medical: organ donation coordination; 7) Learning: training & education systems platforms; 8) Aeronautics: airline scheduling and reservations; and, 9) Sales Automation: field operations.
What are some real world problems being solved by web applications you or your client has created?
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.